Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to keep pores clean with stage make-up?

I%26#039;m in a community theatre play and my pores are getting blocked even though I am using a good facial wash and toner morning and night and I use an exfoliator.


What do you guys do?|||Got to agree with the two posters just above me--don%26#039;t use community makeup, get your own. And if you%26#039;re using it every night, not much is going to help 100% except a few consecutive days off. Our skin isn%26#039;t meant to absorb that much unnatural goo.





That said, a couple things help me:


1) Use baby wipes as your first method of removal. Facial wash afterwards.





2) Moisturize with a good water-based (not oil-based)moisturizer. You get what you pay for with this stuff, so don%26#039;t skimp. I like Clinique Dramatically Different gel. You have to get it at a dept store makeup counter, and it costs about $20 a bottle. It seems counterintuitive to moisturize when you%26#039;re breaking out, but a professional makeup lady once explained to me that if your skin lacks moisture, it absorbs a LOT more makeup in order to get that moisture back. So, if you moisturize before applying your makeup, you put a protective layer of that good stuff on and less of the icky makeup sinks in.





3) Those Biore pore cleansing strips work great. Wet them, stick them on your nose or forehead or wherever, let dry, then peel off. The dirt and stuff will pull right out of your pores and stick to the strip...gross but kinda fascinating!





4) Finally, think about whether you REALLY have to use stage makeup, or whether you can substitute some heavy-duty street makeup (still lighter than stage makeup) in some ways. I have really sensitive skin, and when I was doing rep, I was breaking out so much that I finally had to give up my trusty Ben Nye foundation and start using a good-quality department store base. I still used stage highlight, shadow, and a few other things, but not having that thick mask on underneath really helped. I found that as long as I powdered really well, I didn%26#039;t have a melting problem. And I had my makeup designer help me with getting the shade right under the stage lights--I went a shade or two darker than what I would wear in real life.|||The only thing you can do is to wash it completely and do not go home from a cast party so tired that you fall asleep in your stage make-up. Stage make-up is VERY different from regular make-up and any chance you get, pamper your skin with a facial (after a weekend run and you don%26#039;t have to get back in make-up for a couple of days)|||Did you try using a peel? Maybe that would help.|||If you%26#039;re using %26quot;community%26quot; make-up, that could be the problem. Often community theatres use the same make-up for years with everyone sharing the same product.





I%26#039;d invest in quality make-up for your use only %26amp; learn to apply it yourself. MAC has a great line that is strong enough for stage, but gentle enough on your skin.





Also, use a gentle water based moisturizer before applying make-up. It keeps your skin from drying %26amp; it makes it easier to remove.





Break a leg %26amp; enjoy the run!|||I agree with a lot of the advice you%26#039;ve been given but I can%26#039;t imagine anyone uses %26#039;community%26#039; make up anymore... it%26#039;s archaic. It hardly costs anything to get a barebones make up kit. Avoid the grossness people and buy your own kit. Please.





The nature of the make up... it%26#039;s not called greasepaint for nothing. By the end of the run, everyone has acne issues. It goes with the territory. You just wash it off completely and let your face breathe all night. If you can avoid wearing makeup the next day until call time that would be helpful too. I%26#039;ve used a number of things to take off that makeup and I still break out. It doesn%26#039;t really matter what you use so use whatever has worked best for you. Cold cream, a facial wash and a cloth, a presoaked makeup remover cloth, etc. You%26#039;re wearing thicker than normal makeup, you%26#039;re sweating under hot lights and cramped yucky dressing rooms, the sweat is trapped in your pores until you wash off the make up, it%26#039;s just not the ideal situation. Maybe a slightly medicated wash would be a good addition to your nighttime routine?





good luck!


Marianne|||I used to take off my stage make-up with Pond%26#039;s cold cream.. It%26#039;s heavy duty.. Also, exfoliate with baking soda it%26#039;s cheap and easy to find. It%26#039;s also good for sensitive skin and use Witch Hazel to tone and get any residue off the skin from the make-up... Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment